Kellene E. Hilliard
"Education is the most powerful tool which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela
PROUD TO BE A CHIPPEWA
Central Michigan University Dates Attended: Fall 2008-December 2014
Bachelor of Applied Arts: Art, 2D Concentration, Graduation: May 2012, Cum Laude
Bachelor of Science in Education: Art Education K-12, Graduation: December 2014, Cum Laude
Undergraduate GPA: 3.39
Extracurricular Involvements: Alternative Breaks Site Leader & Participant, Alpha Gamma Delta, Residence Life, National Art Education Association Student Chapter
Art Teacher, Peach Plains Elementary Schools & Central High School, Grand Haven Area Public Schools, September 2015-Present
- Teaching student Y5-4, and in an Alternative High School setting.
- Creating a process and product focused curriculum.
- Introducing students to new themes and concepts in the contemporary art world.
Art Teacher, Hamilton Elementary School & Martell Elementary School, Troy School District, January 2015-August 2015
- Manage 6 classes a day, K-5 in 2 schools.
- Creating successful art lessons focused on the National Standards.
- Integrating art education with other essential subject areas.
- Ran full drawing, painting, and design classes independently for 8 weeks.
- Team teaching for 4 weeks.
- Detailed lesson planning and professional development.
- 40 hours of teaching on a regular weekly schedule.
- Experience in adapting lessons to be equally effective and affordable.
- Building strong relationships with students and the community.
Conference Hall Director, Central Michigan University, May 2013-August 2014
- Served as direct housing contact for athletic and professional conferences while on campus.
- Planned and facilitated training sessions for Conference Assistants.
- Maintaining confidential information while managing a staff of 40+.
- Connecting with residents and creating an inclusive and warm community.
- Regular responsibility for administrative tasks, programming for students, and facilities.
- Major focus on retention of minority students.
- Assisted the direction of two classes and productions. Morning class ages 4-6. Afternoon class ages 7-12.
- Facilitated theatre and improvisation games with both age groups.
- Managed communication with parents and community.
- Dean’s List, Central Michigan University, Spring 2009, Spring 2013 - Fall 2014
- Michael J. Kirkpatrick Leadership Award, Central Michigan University Office of Residence Life, Spring 2014
- Unsung Chapter Member Award, Alpha Gamma Delta, 2009
- May 2014 - Capital District Gardens, Troy, NY
- March 2014 - Rebuilding Together, Pittsburgh, PA
- March 2013 - Volunteers of America, Minneapolis, MN
- March 2012 - ARTS@LARGE, Milwaukee, WI
- March 2011 - The Association House, Chicago, IL
- National Art Education Association, Student Membership, Fall 2013-Present
- Michigan Art Education Association, Student Membership, Fall 2013-Present
- Michigan Art Education Association Conference, Fall 2014
- Presenter, HashtagArt: Bridging Creativity & Community using Instagram in the Classroom
- Presenter, 1000 Paper Crane: A Service Learning Project
- Fire Up Conference, Fall 2014
- Aquinas College
- Proud To Be A Teacher Conference, Fall 2014
- Central Michigan University, Bill Cecil: Keynote Speaker
- Michigan Art Education Association Conference, Fall 2013
- Presenter, Light Drawing Session
- Issue Day Conference, Central Michigan University, Fall 2013
- Presenter, Advocating for the Arts
REFERENCES UPON REQUEST